My Philosophy


I believe it is important to create a community where all learners feel safe, respected and have a sense of belonging. It is important to focus equally on the social, emotional and academic needs of students. I strive to meet children where they're at by differentiating instruction, choosing developmentally appropriate activities and providing a balance between teacher-directed and self-directed learning. I value play, the arts, movement, creativity and laughter as important and meaningful parts of the learning process for children.



Friday, November 30, 2012

Science Journals with 5th Graders

This week the Firefly Team visited the Polaris 5th grade team to learn about science journals.  Polaris 5th graders have been keeping science journals and shared their journals and their learning with our team.  It was a great experience for everyone and we have decided that we would like to use science journals for our next science unit in January.

This week was also a Math Studio week.  On Wednesday we had our second studio lesson of the school year.  Your children were rock stars!  They did a terrific job sharing their math thinking and working in partnerships to learn about trading money.  I was so impressed with their confidence and willingness to share with 15 extra adults in the classroom watching them!  It was a terrific learning experience for everyone.

I will be in school through Thursday of this coming week.  My surgery is Friday so I will be gone from Friday until after the holiday break.  If you have any concerns during that time, please feel free to email me as I will be checking my email.  There have been some changes since I last spoke with many of you at conferences. Miss Claire will continue as our team para.  Stephanie will be in the classroom, but she will continue primarily in her present role.  My classroom teacher role will be covered by another substitute.  There will be more information about my substitute coming home in Friday Folders next week.  Our plan is to overlap and have my substitute in the classroom with me toward the end of the week to make it a smooth transition.

Have a nice weekend!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
A free photo slideshow by Smilebox

No comments:

Post a Comment